Thursday, February 28, 2008

XNA application on NVidia Quadro FX 370

I tested today my application, which uses a lot of textured quads to display a GIS map on a NVidia Quadro FX 370. I expected good results, knowing this is a professional graphic card (although it is entry level), and because it had 256 MBytes RAM - a lot of space for my textures. But surprise - the application performance was actually worse than on my onboard Intel 82945G Express!

I didn't know almost nothing about NVidia Quadro, except it is expensive and it is a "professional" card. After some research, I found that NVidia Quadro it has some improvements for CAD applications, like hardware antialiased lines, and stuff like that. So it isn't very good for gaming - and my XNA application could be compared to a game.

I'm not sure what to do next. Maybe move to a vectorial rendering to make use of the Quadro skills, although I have no ideea if XNA has anything to do with these "skills"...

I just wish I had known earlier that our customers would use this graphic board, so they didn't spend their money in vain, when they could have bought a cheap GeForce and have better performance.

No comments: